Fort Smith National Cemetery
522 Garland Avenue and S. 6th Street
Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, 72901
Fort Smith National Cemetery is located in Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas. It encompasses 22.3 acres, and as of the end of 2005, had 13,127 interments.
On April 23, 1861, as the American Civil War was beginning, the post was abandoned by the U.S. Army forces stationed there; it was then subsequently occupied by a Confederate garrison. During this occupation, nearly 400 Confederate soldiers died and were buried at the fort's cemetery.
On September 1, 1863, the fort was then retaken by Union forces.
In 1867, the post cemetery officially became a National Cemetery when many of the remains from soldiers who had been interred on nearby battlefields were exhumed and reinterred at Fort Smith. The cemetery includes more than 1,400 unmarked graves, many of them of Union and Confederate soldiers.
Fort Smith National Cemetery Categories
Other Fort Smith National Cemetery Resources