Tongue Point Light
Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut
Photo: License: Public Domain
Tongue Point Light Lighthouse, also known as Bridgeport Breakwater or Bug Light, is a lighthouse on the west side of the Bridgeport Harbor entrance, in the city of Bridgeport, Connecticut.
The lighthouse was originally built at the end of a breakwater about 500 feet (150 m) offshore. In 1919, the shipping channel was widened and the lighthouse was moved 275 feet (84 m) inland. The light was automated in 1954. In 1967, the Coast Guard planned to remove the lighthouse but local boaters protested. The lighthouse remains an active aid to navigation.
A modern optic replaced the original sixth order Fresnel lens in 1988.
Tongue Point Light Categories
Other Tongue Point Light Resources