Grand Army of the Republic Hall
23 East Downer Place
Aurora, Illinois, 60507
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Grand Army of the Republic Hall is an historic building on Stolp Island in Aurora, Illinois. The octagonally-shaped building was built with locally quarried limestone.
The Soldier's Monument Association formed in Aurora in 1869 with the intent of raising funds to construct a monument to veterans of the U.S. Civil War. The group was very successful, and secretary Fred O. White proposed that a building should be erected in honor of the soldiers instead.
The Grand Army of the Republic Hall was slated for demolition in the 1960s. Public outcry forced the city to change its plans, and a 1963 fundraising campaign provided financial support to rehabilitate the building. Renovations were partially completed in 2016, and the hall was opened to the public. The G.A.R. Memorial Museum is open every Saturday afternoon, Noon to 4 p.m.
The standing Gothic Revival structure is one and a half stories and features a small lot outside of the building with an 1851 cannon, a bench, and a flagpole. An addition was constructed in 1884 on the south wing, but was demolished during the 1963 restoration.
Grand Army of the Republic Hall Categories
Other Grand Army of the Republic Hall Resources