Aurora, Illinois, 60506
Stolp Island is a small island in the Fox River in Aurora, Illinois. In 1986 the island and its 41 buildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Stolp Island Historic District.
The island is named after Joseph Stolp who purchased the island for $12.72 in 1848. He constructed a mill on the island with Zaphna Lake and the McCarty brothers. The dam for the mill was completed in 1835. By 1848, the town had grown to over 1,000 people.
The Grand Army of the Republic Hall was opened in 1877 to serve Grand Army of the Republic Post No. 20. The island also housed a Carnegie library and the first YMCA building.
In the 1920s, the north end of the island, previously prone to flooding, was expanded and reinforced with landfill. While Aurora became a major steel exporter in the early 20th century, Stolp Island was used exclusively for commercial and public uses.
Stolp Island Categories
Other Stolp Island Resources