Allen County Courthouse
715 South Calhoun Street
Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, 46802
The Allen County Courthouse is in the heart of Fort Wayne, Indiana, the county seat of Allen County. Built between 1897 and 1902, it is a nationally significant example of Beaux-Arts architecture.
The cornerstone was laid November 17, 1897. The building was dedicated September 23, 1902. On September 23, 2002, the building was re-dedicated on its centennial after a seven-year restoration effort.
The Beaux-Arts architecture-style structure includes such features as four 25-by-45-foot (7.6 m × 13.7 m) murals by Charles Holloway, twenty-eight different kinds of scagiola covering 15,000 square feet (1,400 m2), bas-reliefs and art glass. Each of the five court rooms has its own color scheme.
Atop the building is a 255-foot (78 m)-high copper-clad domed rotunda, itself topped by a 14-foot (4.3 m) statue wind vane of Lady Liberty. The larger than life statue has feet that would wear a woman's shoe size of 28.
The building materials include Bedford Limestone and Vermont granite with Italian marble details. A tunnel was constructed to connect the Courthouse with the City-County Building located across the street.
Allen County Courthouse Categories
Other Allen County Courthouse Resources