Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
915 South Clinton Street
Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, 46802
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is the primary cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend.
The parish was established in 1836, making it the oldest in Fort Wayne. The church was erected in 1860.
The original church on what is now Cathedral Square was St. Mary's church (separate to the present-day St. Mary church in Fort Wayne), opened between 1834 and 1835. In 1840, Rev. Louis Mueller began construction on a new church, the Cathedral of St. Augustine. St. Augustine's served as the church until a fire destroyed it in 1859.
In 1859–1860, Rev. Julian Benoit erected a third church and named it the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, in honor of the Blessed Virgin. The Cathedral building still stands today, maintained through various renovations over the decades.
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Categories
Other Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Resources