Cathedral of St. John Berchmans
939 Jordan Street
Shreveport, Caddo County, Louisiana, 71101
The Cathedral of Saint John Berchmans is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Shreveport, in Shreveport, Louisiana. It is one of only eight parish churches in the world dedicated to the Jesuit Saint John Berchmans.
The old parish church traces its origin to the year 1902, when a group of Jesuit priests arrived in Shreveport to establish and staff a new parish and high school for boys. The site of the first church was excavated in 2017 and the state of Louisiana placed a commemorative marker.
By 1924, building a larger church was deemed necessary for the growing congregation. The cornerstone of the structure was laid on 31 July 1927. Construction was finished by June 1928, and the church was consecrated on 16 January 1929.
The church was designated a co-cathedral for the Diocese of Alexandria–Shreveport in 1977. That diocese was split, however, on 23 June 1986, creating the Diocese of Shreveport. St. John Berchmans became the cathedral church of the new diocese.
The Jesuits relinquished administration of the parish to the diocese in October 1988. Soon after, from 1992 to 1994, a major renovation was completed, which added both a vestibule and free-standing chapel with a seating capacity of 100 persons.
The school is now co-educational for grades Pre-K-8.
Cathedral of St. John Berchmans Categories
Other Cathedral of St. John Berchmans Resources