Columbia, Howard County, Maryland
Photo: License: Public Domain
Blandair is 300 acres of former slave plantation located in Columbia, Maryland. The Blandair Foundation estate of Mrs. Smith was purchased by Howard County, Maryland and made into a park.
In 1804, John Crompton Weems purchased a portion of Talbott's Resolution Manon named "La Grange", which he eventually sold to his daughter-in-law, Martha P. Weems. Between 1828 and 1845, Theodorick Bland purchased the farm from the Weems family and under his ownership, the property became known as "Blandair".
In 2010 initial construction began on a regional park. The mansion is being restored by the Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks with assistance from the NPS's Historic Preservation Training Center and is slated to become the "historical centerpiece" of Blandair Regional Park.
Other Blandair Resources