Landmark: United States Logo

Oakland Manor

5430 Vantage Point Road
Columbia, Howard County, Maryland, 21044

Oakland Manor
Photo: FlugKerl2 License: CC BY-SA 4.0
Oakland Manor is a Federal style stone manor house commissioned in 1810 by Charles Sterrett Ridgely in the Howard district of Anne Arundel County Maryland (now Howard County).
The house was completed in 1811 including a 100 ft-long stone carriage house.

Charles Sterrett Ridgely forfeited the house in 1826, selling it to Robert Oliver for $47,000 after failing to make payments toward the property. His son Thomas Oliver purchased the manor, expanding it to 775 acres.

In October 1862, six Union troops from New Jersey raided the Oakland Manor as a Southern sympathizing plantation with the owners joining the Confederate Army. The farm was sold again after the Civil War to Phillip and Katherine Tabb who switched from slave farming to raising thoroughbreds with a half mile oval track situated along Columbia pike.

In 1874, Katherine Tabb's father Francis Morris of New York purchased Oakland, testing corn silage and trenching techniques that gave Oakland an agricultural engineering status from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.

The property had been subdivided to 406 acres in 1909 by owner Thomas Findlay, who removed the racetrack. Oakland was reduced to 350 acres by 1921 with one 8-room tenant house. From 1950 to 1966 the property was operated by Miriam J. Keller as the Oakland Manor Health Farm.

After divorce proceedings, the property became the most important land purchase for Rouse Company development project of Columbia. In 1966, the Rouse Company purchased Oakland and used it as temporary headquarters, then leased it to Antioch College and Dag Hammarskjöld college. By 1976, The property surrounding Oakland Manor was reduced to 8.26 acres.

The building was leased to the Red Cross from 1977 to 1988. In 1988, Rouse divested itself of the property maintenance by selling Oakland to the Columbia Association for $185,000. The same year, the association leased 1060sf of the former slave plantation to the African Art Museum of Maryland.

Oakland Manor Categories


Other Oakland Manor Resources

Map of the Area Around
Oakland Manor

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU