Cathedral of Saint Paul
38 High Street
Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts
The Cathedral of Saint Paul is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester. Built between 1868 and 1889, it is one of the city's finest examples of Victorian Gothic architecture.
It is a large stone cruciform structure, built out rock-faced granite blocks. The main facade consists of a tall square tower on the right, the gabled end of the nave at the center, and a smaller square tower topped by a round turret on the left. There are entrances in the base of the large tower, and in projecting Gothic-arched sections in front of the nave. The main roof is steeply pitched, with a cross at the front gable end, and tall Gothic windows in the gables at the nave and transepts.
The first services were held in the basement in 1869. The building is 168 feet (51 m) in length, 91 feet (28 m) in width, and 96 feet (29 m) in height. When the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester was established, it was elevated to the cathedral church by Bishop John J. Wright on March 7, 1950.
Cathedral of Saint Paul Categories
Other Cathedral of Saint Paul Resources