914 Division Street
Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana, 59101
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Moss Mansion Historic House Museum is a red-stoned mansion built in 1903 by Preston Boyd Moss (P.B. Moss) and his wife, Martha Ursula Woodson Moss, (Mattie) in Billings, Montana.
Moss Mansion was inhabited solely by Mr. and Mrs. Moss, their six children (Woodson Jackson, Kula, Melville Hollingsworth, Preston Boyd Moss, Jr., David Hickman Moss III and Virginia), and 3 servants from the time of construction until 1984 at which time a community effort was organized to save the building. Melville Moss insisted that the home stay in the family, and she lived in her home until she passed in 1984 at the age of 88.
The house was built for a cost of $105,000, compared to a national average of $5,000. It is a three-story single family dwelling with a basement and an attached solarium. It has 28 rooms, and is 60 feet (18 m) square. It rises 45 feet (14 m) into the air. The house is built with red sandstone from Lake Superior, and incorporates a mixture of styles from French Rococo to Moorish.
The Mansion is now owned by the city of Billings and the state of Montana.
Moss Mansion Categories
Other Moss Mansion Resources