New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place
Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, 07102
The New Jersey Historical Society is a historical society and museum located in Newark, New Jersey. The Historical Society is housed in the former headquarters of the Essex Club.
The society was founded in 1845 at Trenton by intellectual and business leaders of New Jersey. Its home is a Georgian style building vacated by the Essex Club that was designed by Guilbert & Betelle. The building was built in 1926
It has two floors of exhibition space, a gift shop, and a hall for lectures. The NJHS offers occasional Newark walking tours. The Society formerly published the academic journal, New Jersey History.
Exhibitions can be found on the second and third floor while the library reading room is housed on the fifth floor, formerly the Essex Club squash courts
The Society is open to the public. Members are free, while non-members pay an admission fee. Patrons visiting the library are encouraged to make an appointment.
New Jersey Historical Society Categories
Other New Jersey Historical Society Resources