Cleveland Botanical Garden
11030 East Blvd
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 44106
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Cleveland Botanical Garden is located in the University Circle neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio.
The garden was founded in 1930 as the Garden Center of Greater Cleveland. It was the first such organization in an American city.
Originally housed in a converted boathouse on Wade Park Lagoon, the center served as a horticultural library, offering classes and workshops for gardeners and spearheading beautification projects in the community. In 1966, having outgrown its original home, the Garden Center moved to its present location in University Circle, the site of the old Cleveland Zoo.
The centerpiece of the 2003 expansion is The Eleanor Armstrong Smith Glasshouse, a 17,000 square foot (1,700 m²) conservatory home to plant and animal life from two separate biomes, the spiny desert of Madagascar and the cloud forest of Costa Rica. They feature over 350 species of plants and 50 species of animals, including hundreds of butterflies.
Cleveland Botanical Garden Categories
Other Cleveland Botanical Garden Resources