Greater Cleveland Aquarium
2000 Sycamore Street
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 44113
The Greater Cleveland Aquarium is an aquarium in Cleveland, Ohio. The facility is the only independent, free-standing aquarium in the state of Ohio and ended a 26-year period that the city lacked a public aquarium.
A former Cleveland Aquarium opened on February 6, 1954, and was located on the city's near-east side in Gordon Park. It was created by the Cleveland Aquarium Society, a group formed in the 1940s, the City of Cleveland and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, which operated the facility.
Structural problems with the building forced the closing of the aquarium to the public in June 1985. The former aquarium site then became a police dog training facility for the City of Cleveland. On April 1, 1986, fish and exhibits were moved to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, where they remain today in the Primate, Cat & Aquatics Building.
Today's aquarium opened to the general public on January 21, 2012. Jacobs Entertainment purchased the aquarium outright in 2014.
The aquarium features a 230,000-US-gallon (870,000 liter) tank with a 175-foot (53 m) acrylic shark tunnel offering panoramic views of marine life, including sharks of various species.
Greater Cleveland Aquarium Categories
Other Greater Cleveland Aquarium Resources