Provo City Library
550 N University Avenue
Provo, Utah County, Utah, 84601
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Provo City Library is a public library serving residents of Provo and Orem in the U.S. state of Utah. It occupies the building of the former Brigham Young Academy, which was built in 1892.
Provo City Library was founded in 1905. It first opened in the basement of the Provo City courthouse in October of that year and operated until 1908. During its operation in the courthouse, it acquired 1,425 books donated by individuals in the community. Soon after that, the collection doubled to 3000 volumes by April 1908. On December 1, 1908, the library moved into a new building provided by a grant of $17,500 from Andrew Carnegie. Over the years, the library grew in size, by obtaining approximately 65,000 volumes and 125 periodical subscriptions.
In 1989, the library moved to another location, the City Center Building. Although it was bigger than before, it became inadequate within a couple of years.
In February 1997 a $16 million library bond passed which allowed the library to move to a bigger location. The bond helped preserve and renovate the historic Brigham Young Academy building, which the library then occupied. On July 9, 1999, city officials broke ground to initiate renovations for the new library. On September 8, 2001 the library began full operations.
The Brigham Young Academy was one of the largest school buildings in the western Rocky Mountain region, and could accommodate 1,000 students. The Brigham Young Academy would later become Brigham Young University.
Provo City Library Categories
Other Provo City Library Resources