Landmark: United States Logo

Burlington City Arts

135 Church Street
Burlington, Chittenden County, Vermont, 05401

Firehouse Gallery in Burlington, VT
Photo: Burlingtonartslady License: CC BY 3.0
Burlington City Arts is an art gallery, arts education/studio center, and cultural events space in Burlington, Vermont.
The building was originally built as the Ethan Allen Firehouse in 1889. In 1927 the Burlington Police Department took over the building for 40 years. After the police department moved to South Winooski Avenue in 1967, it was unoccupied for two years and fell into a state of disrepair. The building was scheduled for demolition in 1973 but community interest compelled the Board of Aldermen to stop the demolition plans and put those funds towards the stabilization of the building.

A number of service operations took up residence there in the years that followed, including the offices of U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy, and the University of Vermont’s Church Street Center.

BCA first began developing the concept of an arts center in 1995, soon after the Firehouse Gallery moved into half of the ground floor. The Ethan Allen Firehouse was selected for this concept.

The building is owned by the City of Burlington. Burlington City Arts uses the building for its exhibits, lectures, and educational programs.

The BCA Center opened to the public in 2002. It includes a community darkroom and photography studio; artist-in-residence studio; multimedia conference facility for lectures, film series, and panel discussions; and Resource Room and Library with public meeting space and Internet access.

Burlington City Arts Categories


Other Burlington City Arts Resources

Map of the Area Around
Burlington City Arts

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU