Landmark: United States Logo

Battery Park

Top of Battery Street
Burlington, Chittenden County, Vermont, 05401

Battery Park, Burlington, Vermont
Photo: Niranjan Arminius License: CC BY-SA 4.0
Battery Park is a public park overlooking Lake Champlain at the western end of downtown Burlington, Vermont.
The park includes a bandshell, a playground, and various monuments, including a bronze statue of Civil War veteran General William W. Wells, and a red oak sculpture of Chief Gray Lock, a veteran of Gray Lock's War. Locally, it is popular for its wide, sweeping views of Lake Champlain.

The park was named for the artillery stationed there by American forces during the War of 1812. On August 13, 1813, American gunners, aided by the USS President, successfully defended their position against an attack by a British squadron led by Lt Colonel John Murray.

The park land was deeded to the City of Burlington in 1870, and the Battery Park Extension was added to the southern end in 1972.

Battery Park Categories


Other Battery Park Resources

Map of the Area Around
Battery Park

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU