3801 Discovery Park Blvd
Seattle, King County, Washington, 98199
Discovery Park is a 534-acre (2.16 km2) park on the shores of Puget Sound in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. It is the city's largest public park and contains 11.81 miles (19.01 km) of walking trails.
The park is built on the historic grounds of Fort Lawton; most of the Fort Lawton Historic District falls within the park (although an enclave within the district remains in military hands), as does the West Point Lighthouse. The site for the 1,100-acre (4.5 km2) fort had been given to the Army by the city in 1898, and the fort opened in 1900. The Army offered to sell it back to the city for one dollar in 1938 but the city refused, citing maintenance concerns.
Much of the land was surplused in 1971, given to the city in 1972, and dedicated as Discovery Park in 1973 in honor of the British sloop HMS Discovery, commanded by Captain George Vancouver during the first European exploration of Puget Sound in 1792.
Discovery Park Categories
Other Discovery Park Resources