University of Alabama campus
Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, 35401
Denny Chimes is a 115-foot (35 m) tall campanile tower on the south side of The Quad at the University of Alabama, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
The tower was named in honor of George H. Denny, who served as university president from 1912 to 1936 and then again in 1941.
The base is crowned by a molded cornice, which in turn is topped by an eagle, with partially outstretched wings, perched at each of the four corners, where the limestone base transitions to the brick shaft. The base supports a red brick shaft that gradually tapers to a limestone crown featuring a belfry with square pillars separated by partially open neoclassical grills, all topped off by a stepped pyramidal roof of limestone.
The carillon features 25 cast bronze bells, with the largest having a circumference of about 11 feet (3 m) and a height of 3 feet (1 m). The Westminster chimes ring every 15 minutes, chiming on the hour in addition to chiming other songs or the alma mater as part of university celebrations or holidays. Inside the base is an automatic player that plays roll music in addition to a keyboard console that is used on special occasions. By 1945, the bell carillon was converted into an electronic system and modernized in 1966.
Denny Chimes Categories
Other Denny Chimes Resources