Huntsville Depot Museum
320 Church Street NW
Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama, 35801
The Huntsville Depot located on the Norfolk Southern Railway line in downtown Huntsville is the oldest surviving railroad depot in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States.
Completed in 1860, the depot served as eastern division headquarters for the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
Huntsville was occupied by Union forces in 1862 during the Civil War as a strategic point on the railroad and the depot was used as a prison for Confederate soldiers. Graffiti left by the soldiers can still be seen on the walls.
The Huntsville Depot saw its last regularly scheduled passenger train, Southern Railway's The Tennessean, on March 30, 1968. Today the Depot serves as a museum, part of the Early Works Museum. A 0-4-0 Porter steam locomotive that was built in Pittsburgh in 1904 resides outside of the museum.
Huntsville Depot Museum Categories
Other Huntsville Depot Museum Resources