Church of the Nativity Episcopal
208 Eustis Avenue SE
Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama, 35801
Episcopal Church of the Nativity is a church in Huntsville, Alabama. It was built in the Gothic Revival style in 1859.
The building is Gothic Revival, in a Middle Pointed style inspired by 14th century English architecture. The church is built in brick and is an aisled nave-and-chancel structure with a monumental bell tower. The sanctuary measures 54 feet (16 m) by 100 feet (30 m) with the ridge-line of the roof 50 feet (15 m) above the floor. The long sides of the building each feature six buttressed bays.
Each bay contains a traceried window. The tracery produces a pair of trefoil-arch lancets topped by a quatrefoil. The front gable of the building features an 8-foot (2.4 m) by 15-foot (4.6 m) traceried window over the entrance. The three-stage bell tower is also buttressed and measures 18 feet (5.5 m) square and 151 feet (46 m) to the top of the octagonal spire. It features lancet and trefoil windows.
The interior is entered through double wooden doors that appear to be original to the building, set within a lancet arch. The interior walls are plastered brick; the floors are heart pine, covered with carpet. The ceiling is wood paneled, with the exposed structural oak timbers forming an arched pattern. The apse is a semi-octagonal projection with three large figural lancet windows that retain their original stained and painted glass. The apse ceiling is a ribbed segmental arch vault. The ribs are decorated and feature plaster boss caps at their apex.
Church of the Nativity Episcopal Categories
Other Church of the Nativity Episcopal Resources