Landmark: United States Logo

Selma Times-Journal

1018 Water Avenue
Selma, Dallas County, Alabama, 36702

The Selma Times-Journal building in Selma, Alabama
Photo: Michael Barera License: CC BY-SA 4.0
The Selma Times-Journal is a five-day-a-week newspaper located in Selma, Alabama. It publishes every day of the week except Sunday and Monday. It is owned by Tuscaloosa, Alabama-based Boone Newspapers Inc.
The paper was founded as the Selma Courier on November 2, 1827, by Thomas Jefferson Frow.

The newspaper was later known by various names, including the Selma Free Press, Selma Reporter, and Selma Daily News. During the American Civil War, the newspaper's press was torched by Union Army troops following the Battle of Selma.

The paper then merged with the weekly Selma Messenger to form the Times Messenger. The paper then merged with the Selma Argus (becoming the Times-Argus), and then with the Selma Evening Mail (becoming the Selma Times). In 1889, the paper changed its name to the Morning Times. In 1914, Frazier Titus Raiford purchased the Selma Times, and on March 1, 1920, the paper merged with the Selma Journal to become the Selma Times-Journal. Frazier Titus Raiford and his wife Mary Howard Raiford served as editors and publishers until Frazier died in 1936. Mary Raiford—Alabama's only female publisher—then ran the paper by herself for 23 years.

During the civil rights movement, the Times-Journal attempted to provide balanced reporting, unlike many other Southern newspapers of the era. Nevertheless, the paper did publish "advertisements from the local White Citizens' Councils that included veiled threats and ... other advertisements purportedly showing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at a communist training session."

Selma Times-Journal Categories

Other Selma Times-Journal Resources

Map of the Area Around
Selma Times-Journal

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo