28 San Marcos Place
Chandler, Maricopa County, Arizona
The Monroe Building was built in 1912. The Chamber met upstairs and the lower floors were leased to stores.
Merchant E. W. Monroe, after whom the building is named, leased the first floor for the Monroe Hardware Company, Chandler's first hardware company. In 1915, the top floor space was converted into Chandler's first movie theater, where silent pictures were shown. In 1919, the second floor became offices for Chandler's first attorney Arthur E. Price, after whom Price Road is named.
Monroe Building Categories