1508 High Ridge Road
Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut, 06903
The Hoyt-Barnum House in Stamford, Connecticut, is a Cape Cod cottage style house that was built around 1699 and is the oldest extant house in the city of Stamford.
The builder was a descendant of one of the original founders of Stamford.
The large central chimney stack is made of field stone, laid up with only clay, animal hair, and straw. The house is braced timber frame construction or post and beam. The foundation is of field stone.
The west room of the house is plastered. The east room has an exposed whitewashed frame, the hearth room walls are sheathed with wood paneling, showing the various interior finishing techniques incorporated into the house during its evolution.
The house is now owned and maintained as a museum by the Stamford History Center (formerly known as Stamford Historical Society).
Hoyt-Barnum House Categories
Other Hoyt-Barnum House Resources