Landmark: United States Logo

Saguaro National Park

near Tucson
Arizona

Saguaro Arizona USA
Photo: Jay Galvin License: 1
The park was established as Saguaro National Monument on March 1, 1933 and changed to a national park on October 14, 1994. The total area of Saguaro National Park in 2002 was 143 square miles (370 km2) of which 111 square miles.

The Saguaro, pronounced "suh-wah-roh", (Carnegiea gigantea) is a large, tree-sized cactus species in the monotypic genus Carnegiea. It is native to the Sonoran Desert in the southwestern United States and northern Mexico.

Saguaro National Park is divided into two sections, lying approximately 20 miles (32 km) east and 15 miles (24 km) west of the center of the city of Tucson, Arizona.

The park was established as Saguaro National Monument on March 1, 1933 and changed to a national park on October 14, 1994.

Saguaro National Park Categories


Other Saguaro National Park Resources

Map of the Area Around
Saguaro National Park


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU