Landmark: United States Logo

Hearst Castle

750 Hearst Castle Road
San Simeon, California, 93452

Hearst Castle
Photo: King of Hearts License: CC BY-SA 3.0
Hearst Castle was designed by architect Julia Morgan, between 1919 and 1947, as a residence for newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, who died in 1951.
In 1954 it became a California State Park. The site was opened to visitors in 1958. Since that time it has been operated as the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument where the estate, and its considerable collection of art and antiques, is open for public tours.

Hearst formally named the estate "La Cuesta Encantada" ("The Enchanted Hill"), but usually called it "the ranch". Hearst Castle and grounds are also sometimes referred to as "San Simeon" without distinguishing between the Hearst property and the adjacent unincorporated area of the same name.

Hearst Castle Categories

Other Hearst Castle Resources

Map of the Area Around
Hearst Castle

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo