Tupelo National Battlefield
Tupelo, Lee County, Mississippi
Tupelo National Battlefield commemorates the July 14-15, 1864, Battle of Tupelo in which Lieutenant General Nathan Bedford Forrest tried to cut the railroad supplying the Union's march on Atlanta.
Established as Tupelo National Battlefield Site February 21, 1929, it was then transferred from the War Department on August 10, 1933, and later redesignated and the boundary changed on August 10, 1961.
Administered by the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Tupelo National Battlefield Categories
In July, 1864, Union forces marched into Tupelo, Mississippi. Disorganized Confederate soldiers fought fiercely but could not overpower the federal troops. Neither side could claim a clear victory, but Union troops had succeeded in their main goal: keeping the Confederates away from Union railroads in Tennessee.
The Tupelo National Battlefield was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
Other Tupelo National Battlefield Resources