California State Symbols
Each state in the United States of America is unique. The people and legislature of California have selected the following state symbols to represent their state's individual environment and culture.
The California State Seal
The Great Seal of the state of California has 31 stars on the upper edge representing the number of states upon California's admission to the United states. A grizzly bear and grape cluster represent abundant wildlife and agricultural richness.
Below the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a miner works near the Sacramento River - shown busy with commercial traffic. "Eureka" (Greek for "I have found it") probably refers to the discovery of gold. Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, overlooks the scene.
The 50 State Seals
The California State Flag
The State Legislature adopted the California State Flag in 1911, after a design drawn by William Todd in 1846.
The star imitates the lone star of Texas. A grizzly bear represents the many bears seen in the state. The word, "California Republic" is placed beneath the star and bear.
The 50 State Flags
Other State Symbols
- Beverage: Wine
- Bird: California Quail (Callipepla californica)
- Colors: Blue, which represents the sky and gold, which represents the color of the precious metal found by forty-niners in the state's hills.
- Dance: West Coast Swing
- Fife and Drum Corps: California Consolidated Drum Band
- Fresh Water Fish: Golden Trout
- Flower: California Poppy
- Fossil: Saber-toothed Cat
- Gemstone: Benitoite
- Gold Rush Ghost Town: Bodie
- Grass: Purple Needlegrass
- Insect: California Dogface Butterfly
- License plate: White with "California" in a red script across the top.
- Mammal: California Grizzly Bear
- Marine Mammal: Gray Whale
- Mineral: Gold
- Motto: Eureka
- Nickname: Golden State
- Poet Laureate: Carol Muske-Dukes
- Prehistoric Artifact: Chipped Stone Bear
- Reptile: Desert Tortoise
- Rock: Serpentine
- Salt Water Fish: Garibaldi
- Silver Rush Ghost Town: Calico
- Slogan: Find Yourself Here
- Soil: San Joaquin
- Song: I Love You, California
- Tall Ship: Californian (schooner)
- Tartan: California State Tartan
- Theater: Pasadena Playhouse
- Tree: Sequoia (California redwood)