The 35,000-square-foot main building of the museum combines an elliptical, three-story, historic industrial building with extensive new architecture. There is also a Tall Sculpture Barn, a former whiskey warehouse with 45-foot ceilings.
The Armistead Monument was erected in 1882. The monument honors Colonel George Armistead, the commander of Fort McHenry when the British attacked in the Battle of Baltimore on September 13, 1814.
Originally the President Street Station, this site and the rail line were key elements of the "underground railroad" by which many slaves escaped to the north before the Civil War.
The monument commemorates the Battle of Baltimore fought during the War of 1812. Designed by Maximilian Godfrey and built in 1815-25, the monument is 39 feet tall and is topped by a statue by Antonio Capellano of a female figure representing Baltimore.
During the Battle of Baltimore in 1814, a lawyer named Francis Scott Key was watching the U.S. flag wave over Fort McHenry. He was inspired to write a poem called the "Star-Spangled Banner."
The National Aquarium is a non-profit public aquarium. The aquarium opened on August 8, 1981. It holds more than 2,200,000 US gallons (8,300,000 l) of water, and has more than 17,000 specimens representing over 750 species.