It was designed by Willard T. Sears after the Torre del Mangia in Siena, Italy.
This 252-foot tall campanile (bell tower) is the tallest all-granite structure in the United States and is part of the Provincetown historic district.
President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone in 1907. In 1910, President William Howard Taft dedicated the finished tower.
In 1910, Cape Cod's first museum opened at the base of the monument.