Saint Thomas Synagogue
2116 Crystal Gade
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas County, Virgin Islands, 00802
Photo: License: Public Domain
St. Thomas Synagogue is a historic synagogue, Queens Quarters, in Charlotte Amalie on the island of Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The formal name of the synagogue is Congregation Beracha Veshalom Vegmiluth Hasadim.
The congregation was founded in 1796 by Spanish and Portuguese Sephardic Jews who had come to the Caribbean Basin to finance trade between Europe and the New World. The building was constructed in 1833, and is the second oldest synagogue in the United States.
It is a single-story structure, built out of rubblestone joined by a mortar mix of lime, sand, and molasses, and covered by a shallow pitch hip roof. Its front, separated from the street by an entry courtyard, has a Greek Revival temple front, but with Gothic arched window openings. The facade is recessed, with the temple pediment supported by brick pillars with Tuscan styling.
On the interior, the Torah ark is located on the east wall, with the tebah, or pulpit, on a dais against the west wall. The center of the chamber is demarcated by a square of four Ionic columns mounted on pedestals, and there are rows of bench pews on the north and south walls. The seating areas of men and women are separated by movable wooden partitions.
Saint Thomas Synagogue Categories
Other Saint Thomas Synagogue Resources