Georgia State Capitol
206 Washington Street SW
Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, 30334
Completed in 1889, this building still serves as the home to Georgia's General Assembly and contains the offices for the governor, lieutenant governor, and secretary of state.
There are visitors' galleries and a museum on the fourth floor.
The capitol site was previously the first Atlanta City Hall.
Georgia's coat of arms is engraved on the pediment facing Washington Street.
The statue on top of the dome is Miss Freedom, sometimes referred to as the Goddess of Liberty. It has been there since the building was completed in 1889. Commissioned in 1884, the hollow copper statue is painted white, weighs over 1600 lbs and is over 26 feet tall. She was sculpted with a torch in her right hand and a sword in her left. The torch is a functioning light.
Georgia State Capitol Categories
Other Georgia State Capitol Resources