Landmark: United States Logo

Mississippi State Capitol

400 High Street
Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi, 39201

Mississippi State Capitol
Photo: Shawn Lea License: 1
Known as the "New Capitol," this landmark was completed in 1903 as a replacement for the "Old Capitol" which now serves as a museum. The building currently is home to the state legislature and Governor's office.

The "Beaux Arts" style of architecture was taught in Paris in the late 1800's and was popularized at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

The building is 180 feet high.

The eagle on top of the dome is made of solid copper and is coated with gold leaf. It is 8 feet high and 15 feet wide.

Inside the building, visitors will find the Hall of Governors on the first floor. This gallery features portraits of those who served as governor since the Mississippi Territory was established in 1798.

Mississippi State Capitol Categories


Other Mississippi State Capitol Resources

Map of the Area Around
Mississippi State Capitol


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU