Old Capitol Museum
100 S State St
Jackson, Mississippi, 39201
The Old Mississippi State Capitol, also known as Old Capitol Museum or Old State Capitol, served as the Mississippi statehouse from 1839 until 1903. The building now serves as a museum.
The exterior of the building is composed of brick, limestone, and stucco. A copper rotunda dome extends 94 feet (29 m) above the first floor. Wood was the principal material used for construction of the building's interior, with the exception of brick partition walls and flagstones on the rotunda floor.
From 1839 until 1903, as Mississippi's statehouse, the old capitol was the site of several historical legislative events: the Passage of the Ordinance of Secession in 1861, the Constitutional Convention of 1865, the Constitutional Convention of 1868, the defeat of carpetbag government in 1876, and the Constitutional Convention of 1890, under which Mississippi is still governed.
The Old Capitol Museum is administered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Old Capitol Museum Categories
The Old Mississippi State Capitol, which now serves as the State Historical Museum, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Other Old Capitol Museum Resources