The U.S.S. Alabama is a South Dakota-class battleship.
Alabama was laid down on February 1, 1940 by the Norfolk Navy Yard in Virginia, launched on February 16, 1942, and commissioned on August 16, 1942.
Alabama was decommissioned on January 9, 1947 at the Naval Station in Seattle, and was assigned to the Bremerton Group, United States Pacific Reserve Fleet. She remained there until struck from the Naval Vessel Register on June 1, 1962.
Alabama received nine battle stars for her World War II service.
Citizens of the state of Alabama raised funds for the preservation of Alabama as a memorial to the men and women who served in World War II. The ship was awarded to that state on June 16, 1964, and was formally turned over on July 7, 1964 in ceremonies at Seattle. Alabama was then towed to her permanent berth at Mobile, Alabama, arriving in Mobile Bay on September 14, 1964 and opening as a museum ship on January 9, 1965.