Landmark: United States Logo

Old Idaho State Penitentiary

2445 Old Penitentiary Rd
Boise, Ada County, Idaho, 83712

Old Idaho State Penitentiary
Photo: Peter Wollheim License: CC BY-SA 3.0
The Old Idaho State Penitentiary was a functional prison from 1872 to 1973. The first building, also known as the Territorial Prison, was constructed in the Territory of Idaho in 1870.
Over its 101 years of operation, the penitentiary received more than 13,000 inmates, with a maximum population of a little over 600. Two hundred and fifteen of the inmates were women. Two famous inmates were Harry Orchard and Lyda Southard.

416 resident inmates were moved to the newly built Idaho State Correctional Institution south of Boise and the Old Idaho Penitentiary was closed on December 3, 1973.

The Old Idaho Penitentiary is operated by the Idaho State Historical Society.

Old Idaho State Penitentiary Categories


Map of the Area Around
Old Idaho State Penitentiary


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU