Landmark: United States Logo

Carter House

1140 Columbia Ave
Franklin, Tennessee, 37064

Carter House
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Carter House State Historic Site is a historic house at 1140 Columbia Avenue in Franklin, Tennessee. In that house, the Carter family hid in the basement waiting for the second Battle of Franklin to end.
Fountain Branch Carter completed construction of the house in 1830.[3] The federal style brick farm house was accompanied by several other outbuildings such as the farm office, smokehouse, and kitchen. In the 1850s, Carter built a cotton gin on his property that became a much-remembered landmark during the Second Battle of Franklin in 1864. Though the cotton gin no longer stands, the house and the other three buildings are still intact and illustrate the horror of the Civil War battle with over a thousand bullet holes still visible.

Carter House Categories


Map of the Area Around
Carter House


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU