Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
200 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd.
Richmond, Virginia, 23220
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, or VMFA, is a public art museum in Richmond, Virginia, which opened in 1936. The museum is owned and operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Considered among the largest art museums in North America for square footage of exhibition space, the VMFA's comprehensive art collection includes African art, American art, British sporting art, Fabergé, and Himalayan art.
The museum includes the Leslie Cheek Theater, a performing arts venue. the 500-seat proscenium theater was originally built in 1955 and known as the Virginia Museum Theatre.
The second addition, the South Wing, was designed by Baskervill & Son Architects of Richmond and completed in 1970. It featured four new permanent galleries and a large gallery for loan exhibitions, as well as a new library, photography lab, art storage rooms, and staff offices. A third addition, known as the North Wing, was designed by Hardwicke Associates, Inc. of Richmond and completed in 1976. It included an adjacent sculpture garden with a cascading fountain. The 1976 wing and sculpture garden were later demolished to make room for the 2010 McGlothlin Wing.
The VMFA undertook a $150-million building expansion to increase the museum's gallery space by fifty percent, adding 165,000 square feet (15,300 m2). The new wing opened in 2010 and was named in honor of patrons James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin. The museum reoriented the McGlothlin Wing by reinstating the entrance on the Boulevard, the same as with the original 1936 entrance.
The design includes a three-story atrium named for Louise B. and J. Harwood Cochrane, with a 40-foot (12 m)-tall glass wall to the east and broad expanses of glass walls to the west, and a partially glazed roof.[
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Categories
Other Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Resources