Edgar Allan Poe Museum
1914 E. Main Street
Richmond, Virginia, 23223
The Poe Museum, or the Edgar Allan Poe Museum, is a museum located in the Shockoe Bottom neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia. Though Poe never lived in the building, it serves to commemorate his time living in Richmond.
The museum holds one of the world's largest collections of original manuscripts, letters, first editions, memorabilia and personal belongings.
The Poe Museum is located at the "Old Stone House", built circa 1740 and cited as the oldest original residential building in Richmond. In 1824, when the Marquis de Lafayette revisited Richmond, a volunteer company of young Richmonders, the Junior Morgan Riflemen, rode in procession along Lafayette's carriage. One of the riflemen, the then 15-year-old Edgar Allan Poe, stood as honorguard outside the Ege house as Lafayette visited its inhabitants.
In 1911, Preservation Virginia (formerly known as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities) saved the house and opened it in 1922 as the Old Stone House. The parlor of the Old Stone House is used for the display of furniture from the homes in which Edgar Poe and his sister Rosalie Mackenzie Poe lived. Of special interest in this room is a piano that once belonged to Poe's sister and Edgar's childhood bed.
Edgar Allan Poe Museum Categories
Other Edgar Allan Poe Museum Resources