Lithgow Public Library
45 Winthrop Street
Augusta, Kennebec County, Maine, 04330
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Lithgow Public Library is the public library of Augusta, Maine. Established in 1896, and expanded in 1979 and 2016, it holds about 67,000 books.
The library is named for Llewellyn Lithgow, an Augusta merchant, who bequeathed $20,000 to the City of Augusta to build a public library. The building's construction consumed those funds plus a $9,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie, plus money raised through the sale of subscriptions to local citizens. The cornerstone of the library was laid in 1894, and the doors opened to the community in February 1896.
Designed in the Romanesque Renaissance style, the library is constructed of gray Norridgewock granite, blocked symmetrically over the windows and entrance. An arched doorway and medallions featuring the names of admired writers adorn the exterior. The interior lobby and original stack room feature quartered oak pillars and elaborate woodwork.
Lithgow Public Library Categories
Other Lithgow Public Library Resources