Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle
123 N. West Street
Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi, 39201
The Cathedral Church of Saint Peter the Apostle is the seat of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jackson, Mississippi.
Work on the structure began in 1897 and it was dedicated June 3, 1900. It is constructed in a modified Gothic design of brick with a cruciform floor plan. The front facade features a square tower topped with a spire that reaches a height of 119 ft (36 m).
In 1948, the administrative center of the Diocese of Natchez was transferred to Jackson and the see was renamed the Diocese of Natchez-Jackson. In February 1957, the church was raised to the rank of co-cathedral and when part of the territory was split to form the Diocese of Biloxi in 1977, St. Peter's was named as cathedral of the Diocese of Jackson.
In 1987, the church's Kilgen organ was replaced with a two-manual/25 stop (38 rank) instrument by Rieger Orgelbau of Austria. The organ is dedicated to the memory of Bishop Joseph Brunini, who served from 1968 to 1984.
Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle Categories
Other Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle Resources