Landmark: United States Logo

West Virginia Governor's Mansion

1716 Kanawha Blvd.
Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia, 25305

WV Governors Mansion
Photo: License: CC0 1.0
The West Virginia Governor's Mansion is a historic residence located next to the Kanawha River in Charleston, West Virginia and is the official residence of the Governor of West Virginia.
The Colonial Revival (Georgian Revival) building was completed in 1925 by Charleston architect Walter F. Martens and is part of the West Virginia Capitol Complex, which also includes the West Virginia State Capitol.

The building itself has a red brick exterior, with a columned portico at the entrance. The foyer was inspired by the White House, with checkered black-and-white marble flooring and dual staircases. The first floor of the mansion includes the drawing room, ballroom, state dining room, library, and a sitting room. The second floor houses the governor's own rooms, as well as those of his family, while additional bedrooms are on the third floor. In all, the structure has 30 rooms.

In 1926, servant's quarters were added atop a garage, along with private gardens.

Since its completion, the mansion has had several redecorations, including one in 1937 and one in 1958. The original building plans for the mansion included a third story, but one was not added until much later, in 1946. Before this addition, the second floor had been covered with a roof composed of tin, but it was replaced by one made of slate.

From 1965–1969, during the term of Hulett C. Smith, the mansion underwent a thorough renovation process. In 2005, Governor Joe Manchin cited structural defects as a reason for repairing and remodeling the mansion.

West Virginia Governor's Mansion Categories


Other West Virginia Governor's Mansion Resources

Map of the Area Around
West Virginia Governor's Mansion

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU