Landmark: United States Logo

The Arcade

401 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 44115

Arcade
Photo: Erik Drost License: CC BY 2.0
The Arcade in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, is a Victorian-era structure of two nine-story buildings, joined by a five-story arcade with a glass skylight spanning over 300 feet (91 m), along the four balconies.
Erected in 1890, the Arcade opened on Memorial Day (May 30, 1890) and is identified as one of the earliest indoor shopping malls in the United States.

The Arcade comprises two nine-story towers with a skylight, 100 feet (30 m) high, made of 1,800 panes of glass spanning over 300 feet (91 m). The building is a complex of three structures: two nine-story office buildings facing out to Euclid and Superior Avenues, connected via the five-story iron-and-glass-enclosed arcade.

The construction was financed by John D. Rockefeller, Marcus Hanna, Charles F. Brush and several other wealthy Clevelanders of the day.

In 2001, the Hyatt corporation redeveloped the Arcade into Cleveland's first Hyatt Regency hotel. The Hyatt Regency occupies the two towers and the top three floors of the atrium area. The two lower floors of the atrium area remain open to the public with retail merchants and a food court.

The Arcade Categories


Other The Arcade Resources

Map of the Area Around
The Arcade

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU