Landmark: United States Logo

Old Courthouse Museum

200 W 6th Street
Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, South Dakota, 57104

Old Minnehaha County Courthouse in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Photo: Alexius Horatius License: CC BY-SA 3.0
The Old Minnehaha County Courthouse is the former county courthouse of Minnehaha County, South Dakota. The courthouse, which was the seat of county government from 1890 to 1962, is one of the oldest buildings in Sioux Falls.
The Romanesque Revival building was built from locally quarried quartzite, a common building material in Sioux Falls at the time. The three-story building features a tall clock tower over the front entrance. The building's doorways are surrounded by Roman archways; the second- and third-story windows are also arched, while the first-story windows are rectangular. The attic windows have decorative dormers aligned with the front walls.

The building is now operated as the Old Courthouse Museum by the Siouxland Heritage Museums Alliance. There are three floors of exhibits about area history and culture, including railroads, Native American artistry and culture, life traveling on the prairie, county towns, the American flag and chairs.

Old Courthouse Museum Categories


Other Old Courthouse Museum Resources

Map of the Area Around
Old Courthouse Museum

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU