Ferry Plantation House
4136 Cheswick Lane
Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23455
Ferry Plantation House is a brick house in the neighborhood of Old Donation Farm in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
The area was initially cleared by the local Indians in the 16th century and many of their artifacts have been found on the site.
The third Princess Anne County courthouse, the first brick courthouse in the county, was built on this site, complete with stocks and pillory. This third courthouse was in existence from 1735 until the construction of the Walke Mansion. The Walke Mansion 1751-1828 owned by William Walke was destroyed by fire on September 12th, 1828.
The current house was built in 1830. Its exterior is Federal style three-course American bond brickwork; all of the bricks were from the ruins of the Walke Mansion. A West Bay addition was built in 1850. The house has 10 rooms with heart-of-pine flooring and several original features. It was once covered with oyster shell stucco. The rear of the home faces the western branch of the Lynnhaven River.
The house occupies 0.1 acres (0.040 ha) owned by the city and is encompassed by 2 acres (0.81 ha) of open space owned by a homeowners association. There are some small gardens on the property and in the back yard is a large Southern Magnolia planted on April 6, 1863 by Sally Rebecca Walke in memory of her fiancé' John, her fallen Confederate officer.
Resident Virginia Higgins moved out of Ferry Plantation in 1986 and turned deed over to the City of Virginia Beach. The Ferry Plantation House was abandoned from 1986 to 1996. A group of citizens saved the house from demolition around 1996.
The house is reportedly haunted by 11 spirits; spirit tours are available, including one during Halloween called "The Stroll of Lost Souls". Reported spirits include those of people who perished in an 1810 ship wreck at the ferry landing, a former slave, Sally Rebecca Walke who mourns her fiancé' a fallen soldier, and the Lady in White, who reportedly died of a broken neck from falling down the stairs, as well as the artist Thomas Williamson, owner of the Manor House who was married to a Walke has been reported seen at the top of the stairs painting.
Ferry Plantation House Categories
Other Ferry Plantation House Resources