Huntington Museum of Art
2033 McCoy Road
Huntington, Cabell / Wayne County, West Virginia, 25701
The Huntington Museum of Art is a nationally accredited art museum located in the Park Hills neighborhood above Ritter Park in Huntington, West Virginia.
The Huntington Museum of Art was organized in 1947 and officially opened on November 9, 1952 under the name The Huntington Galleries. The institution was renamed the Huntington Museum of Art in 1987. The original building was constructed on a 52-acre plot donated by Herbert Fitzpatrick who also donated his personal art collection to begin the museum’s collection.
In the mid-1960s the museum was enlarged through a gift from the Henry L. and Grace Rardin Doherty Foundation, which included construction of the Grace Rardin Doherty Auditorium, the Francis Art Library, large new galleries and a second building containing three studios. Following the death of Huntington native Isabelle Gwynn Daine (1913 - 2004), the museum received a large bequest to support the construction of a new exhibition gallery to honor the memory of her and her husband, Robert Daine. The new gallery was completed in 2010.
In addition to the art collections, two important Native-American archaeological collections are held at the museum - The Pitt Stark Archaeological Collection and The Adams Archaeological Collection.
Huntington Museum of Art Categories
Other Huntington Museum of Art Resources