Landmark: United States Logo

Selma University

1501 Boynton Street
Selma, Dallas County, Alabama, 36701

Dinkins Memorial Chapel, Alabama Colored University, Selma, Ala.
Photo: License: Public Domain
The institution was founded in 1878 as the Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School to train African Americans as ministers and teachers.
The school purchased the former Selma Fair Grounds later that same year, moving into the fair's old exposition buildings. In 1881, the school was incorporated by an act of the legislature under the name of Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School of Selma. On May 14, 1908, the name was officially changed to Selma University.

In the late 1980s, Selma University developed from a four-year bachelor program in religion and two-year liberal arts program to a four-year institution. However, in the autumn of 2000, Selma University began its transformation from a Christian liberal arts college to a Bible college. On February 20, 2009, Selma University received Initial Accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of the Association for Biblical Higher Education in Canada and the United States.

Selma University Categories


Other Selma University Resources

Map of the Area Around
Selma University

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU