The National Monument to the Forefathers, formerly known as the Pilgrim Monument, commemorates the Mayflower Pilgrims.
The monument is made entirely of granite and is 81 foot (25 m) tall.
The sculptor was Joseph Archie.
The corner-stone was laid August 2, 1859. The monument was completed in October 1888, and was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on August 1, 1889.
The monument faces northeast to Plymouth Harbor (and, roughly, towards Plymouth, England).
Upon the four buttresses are seated figures emblematical of the principles upon which the Pilgrims founded their Commonwealth; counter-clockwise from the east are Freedom, Morality, Law and Education. Each was carved from a solid block of granite.
The monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1974. Originally under the care of the Pilgrim Society, it was given to the Massachusetts government in 2001. It and Plymouth Rock constitute the Pilgrim Memorial State Park.