Landmark: United States Logo

Castillo de San Marcos National Monument

Saint Augustine, St. John's County, Florida

Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
Photo: National Park Service License: Public Domain
Built between 1672 and 1695, Castillo de San Marcos was the first masonry fort constructed to defend Saint Augustine. It was known as Fort St. Mark from 1763 until 1784 while under British control and Fort Marion from 1821 until 1942.

The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called "coquina", literally "little shells", made of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a type of stone similar to limestone.

In November 1702, British forces attacked the fort. All of the city's residents, some 1,200 people, along with all of the fort's soldiers, some 300, were protected inside the wall of the fort for the next two months during the attack. The British cannon had little effect on the walls of the fort. The coquina was very effective at absorbing the impact of the shells, allowing very little damage to the walls.

Castillo de San Marcos National Monument Categories


Other Castillo de San Marcos National Monument Resources

Map of the Area Around
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU