The statue weighs 30 tons (27,000 kg) and sits on a 92-ton (83,000 kg) pedestal of white Seravezza marble.
The statue is located in the center of the memorial hall, which was designed after the Pantheon in Rome.
Congress designated the national memorial on October 25, 1972 (Public Law 92-551).
The Memorial Hall was designed by John T. Windrim and was dedicated in 1938.
The national memorial is an affiliated area of the National Park Service, assigned to Independence National Historical Park through a Memorandum of Agreement entered into on November 6, 1973.